Friday, November 13, 2009

Action, reaction

Action, reaction:
I wake up.
I close my eyes.

Action, reaction, reaction:
Teenaged boys grunt and holler
in the school yard, preying on
a leather ball with fist-fangs.
I wait them out.
Do they ever study?

Action, reaction:
"Why are you fat?"
one of them yells.
I retreat, inside.

Reaction, action:
The dogs sulk.
They have not had a walk.
(Blame: me, teenaged boys.)

Action, no reaction:
I call B.
She is not there.

Action, action, reaction:
A colleague left his wife ten
years ago.
He remarried, the old tale,
the young wife.
He has been happy since.

Action, action, reaction, reaction:
We divorce.
It goes on.
I cannot imagine happy since.
They tell me I used to know
happy well.

Reaction:
I can tell beauty when I see it.
But beauty is the cat who will
not permit herself to be touched.
Admire, let the tears fall, she is
not yours.

Reaction:
Happiness nestles
in your lap,
is pleased to bleed out
in your arms. You
can have her for as
long as you can,
no hard feelings.

9 Comments:

Blogger S said...

Lovely poem.

I've been thinking about you a lot lately. Hope you can feel it from across the ether.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Simon said...

I'm pretty sure you still know happy well.

I think you're just sitting at different tables, wondering what one of you said to estrange the other. When, really, all you want is to buy happy a drink, offer a little wave when the waiter brings it to happy, and shyly invite happy back to your table when happy's eyes widen a little upon realising the drink came from you, and you're being deliciously coy about the invitation.

All happy really wants is to get back with you and have a fun, dirty make-out session where mutual apologies are lost in the wave of euphoric reunion. Sort of sucks that one of you has to make the first, bold move, eh?

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wait. sorry. jenn, i adore you and i love this piece, but really, have you noticed this simon character?

really?

i'm in love with simon.

the end.
xoxol

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've no ability to translate my feelings into writing - you do, my dear Jenn.

Your writing makes my heart ache. You are in my thoughts a lot and I look every day in my Bloglines to see if you've posted anything.

Hugs and virtual mac n cheese,
Lorrian (who can't get her Google acount to behave and must be anon for now)

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Becket Kate said...

I agree about Simon being wonderful.

And again, with the writing! I just eat up your words, be they happy or sad. I'm sure Simon is 100% correct about happy and you.

Love from betwixt Washington Mtn and October Mtn.

ps- my code word is "foons". I just wanted to share that with you because I like the way it sounds. And because it somehow makes me picture large, blow-up spoons, to bop annoying people with.

11:18 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I agree wholeheartedly about that rascal Simon being wonderful (and very married...did we mention that?).

7:36 AM  
Blogger Simon said...

Blast it, Jenn! Undermined by your inappropriate forthrightness.

8:37 AM  
Anonymous anonymom said...

Lucky woman that Mrs. Simon...

6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay, with regard to simon, i shall put on my dorothy parker hat and say i just don't give a damn about his being married.

he's utterly delightful. and i admire that in a man.

:)

xoxoxol

1:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home